Chennai with its numerous colonial buildings, beautiful beaches and rich culture is one of the most vibrant cities of South India. Find out more on the top 5 tourist attractions in Chennai and also check out some quality hotels in Chennai.
Chennai formerly known as Madras is the capital city of Tamil Nadu and is the center of arts and culture in South India. One of the important commercial cities it is well connected by roads, railways with the rest of the country. The Chennai International Airport connects the city with some of the major places across the globe. Chennai is one of the historically significant cities of the country and you will find many tourist attractions in Chennai.
1. Beaches of Chennai- Chennai has some really beautiful beaches along its coastlines such as the popular Marina Beach, Elliot’s beach and Covelong beach. The Marina Beach sometimes serves as a meeting place for locals and is crowded most of the time. The Elliot’s beach is comparatively quieter and less populated and is a must visit.
2. Mahabalipuram- It is a heritage site situated about 50kms outside the city along the Coromandel Coast. It is famous for its beautiful and quiet beach and numerous ancient rock-cut temples that mirror the pioneering architecture of the Pallavas (2nd century BC).
3. Kapaleeshwarar temple- It is one of the most famous temples and tourist attractions in Chennai. Also one of the oldest temples in the city, it is known for its tall and beautifully sculpted gopurams or towers.
4. Basilica of St. Thomas- One of the three churches in the world built over the tomb of Apostles is the Basilica of St. Thomas in Chennai. It is built over the tomb of one of Jesus Apostles- St. Thomas who had come to India in 52 AD. The Basilica has ancient and valuable paintings on display along with artifacts belonging to St. Thomas and his life.
5. Government Museum- Situated in Egmore it is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Chennai. The Museum is state sponsored and has a huge collection of artifacts and scientific specimens.
Popular Hotels in Chennai
Hotel Pandian is one of the popular budget hotels in Chennai and is located in the heart of the city. One of the good Chennai hotels it enjoys a customer recommendation of 77% which means 8 out of 10 guests would love to stay here. It has been praised for its facilities and its general cleanliness. It offers well furnished rooms that are equipped with all the major amenities. It also offers a multi cuisine restaurant and bar. The rooms cost Rs.999.
Ashok Residency is another of the popular budget hotels in Chennai and has easy accessibility to Chennai Airport. It enjoys a customer recommendation of nearly 80% which means 8 out of 10 people would select this particular hotel again. It has garnered praise for its standard of service and general cleanliness. It offers well furnished and fully equipped rooms that cost Rs.1500.