Situated 7000 feet above sea level is Udgamandalam or Ooty as it is widely known is a hill station in the Nilgiri Hills in Western Ghats. Find more about the top 5 tourist attractions in Ooty and also check out some good Ooty hotels.
The hill station of Ooty is in the state of Tamil Nadu and is best known for its scenic beauty. Ooty can be reached by long winding mountainous roads or by a toy train that passes through scenic locations. Named as the Queen of Hill stations; there are plenty of tourist attractions in Ooty other than its natural beauty.
1. Ooty Botanical Gardens- It is one of the top tourist attractions in Ooty and attracts huge number of tourists every year. The Garden was laid out in 1847 and covers an area of nearly 50 acres over the Dodabetta peak. The garden has a vast collection of flowering trees, rare and medicinal plants, etc. One of the highlights of the garden is the fossil of a tree that is said to be over 20 million years old.
2. Dodabetta Peak – It is the highest point in Ooty and is the best place to get a bird’s eye view of the city and the valley below. It is quite popular among photography enthusiasts for its sheer beauty and the picturesque view.
3. Ooty Lake – The Ooty Lake is a man made lake that stretches in the shape of the letter L and is one of the major attractions of the city. Visitors can enjoy boating in the lake or fishing though you have to obtain permission for the latter.
4. Rose Garden – It is a huge garden that has over hundreds of varieties of roses and is quite popular among tourists. You can also buy plants or seeds here.
5. Wax World – It is an interesting museum in Ooty that contains numerous figures made entirely of wax.
Quality Hotels in Ooty
There are lots of good Ooty hotels that offer comfortable accommodations and all necessary facilities to make your trip more enjoyable. Here are a few recommended hotels.
Hotel Lake View is one of the finest budget hotels in Ooty and is located close to the beautiful Ooty Lake. One of the good Ooty hotels, it enjoys almost 75% customer recommendation which means 8 out of 10 guests would love a second visit. It has also garnered a lot of praise for its facilities, location and its hospitable staff. It offers a multi cuisine restaurant and many leisure sports like boating, badminton, etc. The rooms are individual cottages equipped with all necessary amenities and costs Rs.1400.
Hotel Nahar Nilgiris is one of the mot popular hotels in Ooty and is located close to Charring Cross. It is one of the widely recommended hotels it enjoys almost 80% customer recommendation. It has received a number of positive reviews for its service and its quality of food. It offers well furnished and well equipped rooms that are equipped with all major amenities and costs Rs.2500.